Sunday, February 19, 2017

A Proper Introduction: Winter Interns 2016


Robin Gilbertson

My name is Robin Gilbertson from Cedarburg, WI. I graduated in May 2016 from the University of Wisconsin- Green Bay with a major in Animal Biology and a minor in Human Biology. I have had a wildlife rehabilitation internship at the Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary mainly working with songbirds, waterfowl, and birds of prey. I also had an internship at Animal Gardens as an animal care intern working with hoof stock and exotic animals. I helped raise a few of their baby animals as well. I have worked at a vet clinic in the past and volunteered at the Green Bay Humane Society. One day I hope to be at a sanctuary helping wildlife and educating people on the native animals (basically wildlife rehab).
Favorite Animal:
            I love arctic fox and sea turtles.
Favorite Song/Artist:
I love Avicii. Any of his songs are amazing.
Favorite Movie:
My favorite movie would have to be either Grown Ups, Gnomeo and Juliet, or any Lord of the Rings franchise (which includes The Hobbit).
Role Model:
My parents of course.
Hobby:
I collect movie ticket stubs from every movie I go to. I like to see which movies I’ve seen and how many times.
Weird Talent:
            I can touch my tongue to my nose without using my hands.
When I am not working, I would rather be rock climbing or singing to music I know without a crowd or just hanging with friends.

Dannielle Edick

I am Dannielle Edick from Mohawk, New York. I graduated from SUNY Delhi with an Associates in Veterinary Science Technology and from SUNY Oswego with a Bachelors of Science in Zoology. I have prior experience working with exotic animals from an internship at the Utica Zoo in their Commissary and Veterinary/Quarantine area as well as another in the North Trek/African Alley section. I also performed an internship at the Rosamond Gifford Zoo in the Small Mammals department and then an apprenticeship back at the Utica Zoo in the Commissary/Quarantine area.

Favorite Animal: Gray Wolves, Cheetahs, and Servals. Ooo and Snow Leopards, Amur Leopards too… Red Foxes and Harbor Seals as well. Too many choices, can’t pick just one! Guess I’m in the right profession! Arctic Foxes, Osprey, Black and White Ruffed Lemurs, and Blakiston’s Fish Owl also!
Favorite Song: Coming for You by Twelve Foot Ninja, also And We Danced by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. Almost everything by Green Day, Rise Against, and Ghost. (I am REALLY bad at making decisions for this kind of stuff…)
Favorite Movie: Star Wars, Lion King, all the Harry Potter films, Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, Sherlock Holmes (with Robert Downey Jr., also like Sherlock the TV show), Aristocats, Braveheart, Robin Hood (with Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman), How to Train Your Dragon (Still going with my outrageous lists theme here…)
Role Model: Ummm… My parents? (Always the safe answer. And it’s true!)
Hobby: Reading, watching TV and movies, listening to music, watching hockey, and hanging out with animals. (I also love Renaissance Faires…)
Weird Talent: Getting distracted? (Outside of work of course!) YouTube is the bane of my existence (so many random things I didn’t know I wanted to know more about!). I’m so good at getting distracted that it sometimes circles back around to being productive! (Get to doing something that wasn’t what I needed to do, but also needed to get done)
When I am not working, I would rather be doing: see above (that’s pretty much it…).

Sarah David

My name is Sarah David, and I graduated from the George Washington University in 2014 with a degree in Biology. Since then I have had the opportunity to intern at the Audubon Nature Institute in New Orleans and the National Aviary in Pittsburgh, PA, after which I worked as an outdoor educator at Camp Allen, outside of Houston, TX. My ultimate goal is to do community-based conservation in developing countries, working to alleviate conflict between humans and the wildlife they interact with on a daily basis. I hope to use the skills I acquire in animal keeping and in animal behavior at IEAS to bridge gaps between people and animals wherever I go.

Favorite Animal: Lion
Favorite song: Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl) by Looking Glass/Girl I Wanna Lay You Down by Jack Johnson
Favorite Movie: Pride and Prejudice (2005)
Role Model: Hillary Clinton
Hobbies: Singing, playing guitar, painting, reading
Weird Talent: I am an amazing dream interpreter.
When I am not working, I would rather be: With my family.

Leigh Walker

My name is Leigh Walker and I am from Winfield, Missouri, a small town located on the Mississippi River. I graduated from the University of Missouri in May 2016 with a Bachelor’s of Science in Fisheries and Wildlife and a minor in Captive Wild Animal Management. Previously, I studied wildlife conservation abroad in South Africa, as well as interned at the Dickerson Park Zoo in Springfield, MO. My dream is to work in the field on a conservation project abroad. When I’m not working, you can find me doing yoga, playing rugby, hiking, or exploring the city!

Favorite Animal: Clouded Leopard

Favorite Genre: Indietronica

Favorite Movie: Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Weird Talent: Using my feet as hands


Hobby: Adventuring

3 comments:

  1. She is very pretty girl. Like adventure, outdoor fun is her main focus point. Thank you very much for sharing this awesome article.

    ReplyDelete